Saturday, March 14, 2015

Some Wedding Planning Tips!!

We have a year and a half engagement so we have had a lot of time to figure our shit out if you know what I mean... Even then, it has been overwhelming at times. I have been thinking back to our first few months of engagement and these are some tips that I wish someone would have told me.

1. Pin a lot, but don't mimic or expect everything to come to life straight from your inspiration boards.


There is a ton of really great inspiration online that can kickstart your wedding planning process but sometimes it can be overwhelming and it can also set your expectations a bit too high. Don't get me wrong you most definitely should have incredibly high expectations for your wedding day but it is really important to keep in mind that the wedding is symbolic and the important part is that you're marrying someone really special.


You also want to showcase both of your personalities using inspiration from what you find online, not mimic exactly that. It's so easy to get swept up in the Pinterest vortex, but make sure you're being realistic and not stretching the character of your wedding and definitely try not to overwhelm yourself.

2. Create your own checklist.


There are hundreds of checklists and timelines that you can follow but every wedding, every bride, and every relationship is different. Compile the checklists that are most reliable and realistic for your specific wedding day.


I started simply by printing out checklists, and scratching irrelevant points off the list. Then I hand wrote my own checklist and timeline and threw it in my binder. Sometimes I'll stumble upon a new checklist and I'll add a few points to my list. Customizing your lists is key to keeping yourself organized.

 3. Let the people who want to help, help, and let those who are uninterested be.


I spent a few months at the beginning of our engagement trying to really engage my bridesmaids in the planning process, because I was so dang excited. I didn't really realize at first that there are a few reasons this wouldn't work.


Firstly, everybody still has their own life happenings, and while that is common sense, I got a bit overexcited and thought that they would make more of an effort. Secondly, when you have a group of girls that are coming together to support you, personalities can conflict. I had a lot of this in my bridal party which seriously upset me at first, until I realized that they're not in the wedding party to be friends with each other, they're in the wedding party to support me on my day and be of help on the way.


You asked your girls to be in the party for a reason, so cling to that. Don't expect everybody to be friends or be super engaged in the planning process because in all honesty, there isn't THAT much to be done that you'll need all hands on deck for other than the actual day. Let your friends and family hell where they offer and have one key person picked out that you can ask for specific and constant help (my person is my momma) and let the rest be.


This is just the beginning of my reservoir of wedding planning tips that I've acquired over the past year, and I hope this helps! Keep your eye out for more coming soon!


xx
Sarah Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment